Monday, May 13, 2013

Food reviews

The questions I get asked most often are:

Are there hot Aussies there?
and
How is the food?

Well, the answer to the first one is...yes and most of them are at a minimum 6'2" and married.  But the second question is a little easier to answer.  So far, I have been extremely unimpressed with the food.  It lacks flavor (I blame our British cousins) and often it is missing even salt and pepper.  There are a few exceptions to this rule.  They are as follows:

1) Tim Tams.  These glorious little biscuits are heaven-sent.  The caramel ones taste like a Twix.  They are wonderful.  Wars could be prevented by sending boxes of Tim Tams to arguing nations.

2) Meat pies.  While you may say, "But, in America they call those POT PIES, big dummy" I would argue that the Aussie meat pie (of which they are VERY proud) is much different.  For starters, the pie crust is so thick you do not need a pan (or pot).  You can simply pick it up and eat it, with tomato sauce (or ketchup as well call it) of course.  Next, American pot pies provide you the illusion of a complete meal because they pop a single chunk of meat in but fill the rest with broccoli or some other vegetable I do not eat.  The Aussies put meat in their pie.  Only meat.  Its what Ive wished for my whole life.

3) Lamb.  I am not normally a lamb eater.  I find the meat rather gamey and tough.  BUT, following a party at the NZ High Commission, I have decided that lamb is not terrible when cooked properly.  Im not jumping on the lamb train, I am just not a lamb hater anymore.

Now having covered the new foods, I will tell you what I have had to adjust in order to survive here.  Mexican food.  While the Mexican embassy is literally with in a stone's throw of ours, there are remarkably few Mexicans here.  I miss them.  I have had to resort to making my own Mexican food to survive.  I can get Chinese food by the bucket here but there are no Mexican food places.  On Cinco De Mayo, mom and I made cheese enchiladas.  We didnt have enough sauce but they were ok.  We have to try again soon...

So thats a breakdown on food.  I have not been brave enough to try kangaroo meat yet, but Im sure the occasion will arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment