Saturday, September 28, 2013

Windows on the World-Part 2: South Africa

Week 2 of Windows on the World brings me to the end of my adventure.  I will be out of pocket for the next round and the final week has offices which require bookings-and there are none left.  If I am lucky I might get to pop into the Netherlands but that's probably the last one I could make and it looks unlikely.

However, this afternoon takes me to the land of South Africa.  In the embassy community, South Africa is just across the street from us and I pass it often.  I have always admired the grounds from afar and have been curious what lies behind the iron gates.  Today, the South African High Commissioner opened his home and the grounds for Windows on the World.  I was a little bit disappointed based on the display put forth by the Thai embassy, but different cultures different outlooks.  The South African High Commission had an Australian-based artist exhibiting some of her work which was interesting.  They didn't have food except for cupcakes with the South African flag on it and a custard pie.

They had a little display of hand crafted beaded jewelry and shoes.  Aside from that they only had seating to sit outside on the grounds and some traditional South African music playing on some loud speakers.  I found it amusing that the furnishings inside the house were very much like the furniture they assign us for our houses. There wasn't much to take pictures of but here is the offering for today...enjoy!

 Gates to South Africa House
Entrance to the South Africa House

The rear of South Africa House and the grounds.

It is obvious that they revere Mr. Mandela a great deal.  His picture is larger even than the president.

The fun little dolls throughout the house.

Old school chandelier, new school energy efficiency!

These dolls greeted guests at the entrance.



Hope you have enjoyed the Windows on the World series!  Next up-ULURU.


1 comment:

  1. The chandelier is AWESOME! Also, Thailand is all around awesome and hard to hold a candle to...and I need to expand my awesome vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete