Sunday, September 22, 2013

Windows of the World-Part 1: Thailand

Every year the embassy community throws open the doors and pulls back the curtains and welcomes the citizens of many nations to experience their culture.  This festival is called "Windows of the World" and since this is the Centenary of Canberra, all the embassies are pulling out all the stops.  This weekend, I attended the WOTW events at the Royal Thai Embassy (RTE).  I had planned to attend many more however I didn't realize that others required a free ticket and by the time I figured it out it was too late to get one.  The Thai embassy did not require a ticket but I had planned to hit that one up anyway.  I am so glad I did!!

First, I was able to fight my way through the crowd to the back of the complex where they had Thai boxing, sword fighting (with fake swords) and dancing demonstrations.  They were fascinating!  They kept going until it started raining and then they took a break.
















These guys were such athletes!  Mad respect.  Then they had a band which played some Thai music.  If it worked, there should be a short video of the band.  I have included a photo in case it didn't upload right.  I got a new camera for an early birthday present to myself and this was its maiden outing.  It performed like a champ, but Im still learning the gadgets.  :D






This man would draw portraits of people as they came by.  He was quite skilled.

Check me out!  Having a bit of a boogie....

Somewhere behind all these people was the food.  I couldnt get within a respectable distance of any of them.


This was the "English" language band that was playing on the steps of the Ambassador's residence.  They were pretty good!




 The Thai people are very warm and welcoming and today they were putting their absolute best foot forward.  Upon entry to the RTE grounds, I was instantly hit with the wonderful smells of the Thai food stands which lined the grounds.   I couldn't get to any of it because the mobs of people had it blocked off.  So instead I saw the bands, the dancers and had a $5 Thai massage.  Over all it was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment