I used to think that Crocodile Dundee was pretty much what Australians were like. Now that I have lived here for a year and a half almost, I have come to realize that while there are pockets of Crocodile Dundee-s all over this country, that it was a gross underestimate. Aussies are just like us. They enjoy sports and good food, they don't take crap off anybody and they will give you the shirt off their back if you needed it. One other thing we share with the Aussies is the love of all things ridiculous. I have been reading "Down Under" by Bill Bryson lately and he describes his visit to the Big Lobster. It is exactly what it sounds like. Apparently,
all across Australia there are these "Big" items which dot the landscape. The Big Mango, Big Lobster, Big Banana and so many more. On Thursday, work took me to the little city of Goulburn which is on the Federal Highway on the way to Sydney. Goulburn is famous for one reason-The Big Merino.
I had heard tales of this "Big Merino" and thought nothing of it really. So what? Its a big sheep. Big deal. Until I saw it for myself.... This Big Merino almost appears to stand watch over the city of Goulburn. As you enter the city, his regal nature greets you with a smug little smile. I had to stop and see this for myself. Once I took care of the reason I was in Goulburn in the first place, I pulled into the rather empty parking lot in the shadow of the Big Merino. I was originally going to just pop into the gift shop quickly and see if there was anything I couldn't live without. I took a turn around the gift shop and after little purchases discovered that you can actually go inside the Big Merino. It provides a history of the wool industry in the area. I didn't have time to explore this, but it was interesting anyway.
I could not resist the opportunity to have my picture made with the beast. Primarily because I didn't not think many people would believe that I actually saw it. That and the fact that it was not a figment of my imagination. So, I present to you...The Big Merino.
 |
| That tiny blue speck in the front is ME! |
 |
| Yes, Im looking down my nose at you. |
 |
| Does this statue make my butt look big? |
LOL!!!! I nearly choked on my water laughing so hard at the "Does this statue make my butt look big?" LOL!!!!
ReplyDelete